Thursday, December 27, 2012

American Dream

I was invited to a party awhile back.  I got an extra supervisor in and worked until 4:30 P.M. and left my restaurant to get ready for the party.  Sue had my suit dry cleaned, and it was a humdinger.  I didn't wear it though; I wore my black suit coat and my $10 pants and showed up to the party at 7:20 P.M.  Valet parking took my car and I walked into a 15,000 square foot house that was built like a hotel.  It was an amazing house.  I loved it and you know what, I was not jealous of the people who owned it.  I didn't think, "Tax them more, this isn't fair."  I looked at this house and said, "This is part of the American dream and that dream can make other dreams come true."  It made the heating and cooling business' dream come true by providing five furnaces and five air conditioners for this house.  It made the furniture company's dream come true by providing furniture to this 15,000 square foot house.  It made the caterer's dream come true by having a nice job that night (by the way, it wasn't Brann's catering, so my dream is still pending on that one).  It made the valet company's dream come true by working that night, and by me tipping $5 to the valet who retrieved my car.  So Congress, quit dreaming up ways to tax good, and yes, rich people and stop the class warfare.  My dream is for Congress to spend less or maybe the valet service can drive some of our legislators out of office.  That's my dream.

2 comments:

  1. Right on, Tommy. I know what you mean. My favorite Governor decided early on to cut spending in the State of Michigan by repealing the Property Rebate Tax law which was a boon to many a senior citizen. 2012 was the last year that it was to be. Unbeknownst to me, the last year was destined to provide only 1/2 of the $1,200 I would have received from the state. As a result, the charity contribution I was going to give part of that rebate to Aquinas College didn't happen. A local camera retailer didn't make a camera sale for a camera that I needed to keep my photography business sprouting. Which in turn caused me to curtail my business activities substantially in that area of expertise.

    Yes, I agree with you 100% as long as the spending cuts don't hurt the consumer and small businesses. Like the Farm Bill, which is being part of this Fiscal Cliff negotiations. The Farm Bill defines and encourages Congress to continue to heavily subsidize milk production so that the cost of milk to the consumers doesn't double on January 1st. In turn, if the Farm Bill isn't passed, your costs at your restaurant will skyrocket for any food items that require milk to be used in the reciepe. In turn, you'll be forced to raise your pricing for meals which may deter anyone from eating out.

    Yep, Congress has a tough road ahead of them to figure out where to cut spending so it doesn't affect your business, my business, and any small business person struggling to stay in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you feel. I am a board member of the www.mifairtax.org and that would not have happened under that tax plan but in the bigger picture if adjustment and big decisions the governor is making brings more jobs to our state and more people come back then housing values go up and your main asset is worth more. On the farm bill. Too much tinkering. First how does our government keep track of all this and the supply and demand would take over. The average house wife would not buy milk. Thusly, demand would lower and price would come down. I heard about the $8 milk crisis, but this is too much meddling into free enterprise. Happy New Year, Tommy Brann.

      Delete